I’ve got issues. Sweet potato and mango issues. I’m just going crazy with both of them. Soon I will go over the edge and start COMBINING the two (hmmmmm).
I know that most of you will not have access to mangoes right now, but I don’t care. I have mangoes and I’m going to eat them, cook with them and smear them all over myself.
The lovely thing is (apart from me, ah the lovely Lou) that you can sub pretty much anything into these two recipes. I think berries (fresh or frozen) would be delish, and canned fruit would work just as well. I love apricots from the can, especially on cereal – it makes the milk at the bottom of the bowl go all sweet and tangy. Sometimes, I hate to admit it, I think I almost prefer canned apricots; fresh are amazing, but they are always so hit and miss. Either too hard and bitter, or way too soft and floury.
What fruit or vegetable do you prefer frozen or canned? Or am I the only one willing to admit to it?
Coconut Mango Custard (Serves 3)
(Gluten free, dairy free, nut and seed free, soy free, egg free, vegan)
- 3/4C coconut milk
- 1/2C mango puree + additional puree for topping if desired (a few T per serve)
- 1t lime juice
- 1/4t sea salt
- 2T agave (or to taste, depends how sweeeeet you like it)
- 1/2t vanilla extract
- 1/4t + 1/16 guar gum
- Toasted coconut and mint for garnish
- Combine all ingredients except guar gum in a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, stir in guar gum until thick.
- Pour into glasses or bowls and put in the fridge to chill and “set.”
- If desired, top with additional mango puree, toasted coconut and mint.
Mango Cashew Cream
(Gluten, dairy, egg, soy free. Vegan)
- 1/4C raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/3C mango puree
- 2 dates, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt (approx 1/8t or to taste)
- 1/2t lime juice