mon petit chou
One of the maybe 3 things I can say in French. I think the other 2 are inapropriate.
Cabbage is one of those strange vegetables. It’s pigeon-holed a little bit (well, it is in my brain).
I’m not allowed to eat raw cabbage. I love it, but it does not love me. Viper has banned me from it. You join the dots.
I love sauerkraut, but it’s more of a condiment than a ‘dish.’
I got excited by Katie’s idea of roasting. I managed to score a whopping sugar loaf cabbage from a sweet lady’s organic vege patch on an afternoon meander with Misty. 60c. Wicked.
This was 1/4 of a monster cabbage – it cooks down to about 2C worth.
- Sliced cabbage
- 2T balsamic vinegar
- 4T water
- 1t sea salt
- 2T nutritional yeast
- 1t wholegrain mustard
- 1/2t onion powder/granules
- 1/2t garlic powder/granules
- 1t olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix ingredients together
- Spread on a baking tray and roast at 200 degrees C for around 25-35 minutes. Give it a good mix around every 5 minutes until it’s tender, browning and getting little crispy bits (or however you like it)
- Season with extra salt and pepper.
I cranked up the grill for the last 2 minutes so it got lots of little crispy bits going on.
Viper was afraid. He knows what happens after I eat cabbage.
Good news! No unfortunate after effects (cooking the cabbage is the key. Still banned from coleslaw) and delicious.
Gives the humble old cabbage a bit of sex appeal. mmm sexy cabbage.