Trial, and trial
This is what happens when toys are left out in Boosty’s domain. Poor old mauled Ted… one eye and half a smile not looking so good. This Ted was a gift from the nurse after Misty’s 6 month vaccinations – I don’t think they give them to every baby, but Misty decided to spew on Ted – he was instantly ours. Boosty also enjoys Misty’s plastic spoons and clothes pegs. I have about 6 pegs left which is definitely not enough considering the amount of washing I do daily.
So I think this is going to end up as a weekly trial until Viper is satisfied – Muesli Bars. He said the first batch I ever made him were the best; I haven’t the foggiest what I put in that batch (hence my need for a blog).
1/3 C raisins, finely chopped
1/3 C coconut
1/3C sesame seeds
1/4C oat bran (or oatmeal)
1/4C rye flakes (rolled or quick oats would be fine)
1/4C cashews, chopped
1/4C almonds, chopped
1/4C pepita butter
1/4C soy milk
1/4t sea salt
- In a dry fry pan, toast (in batches depending on your size of pan) sesame seeds, coconut, oatbran, rye flakes. As I have said, my oven is broken, so to get that nice roasty toasty flavour, particularly from the nuts and seeds; I toast. You can keep them raw; it’s just a flavour thing.
- Mix all of the toasted ingredients with salt, dried fruit and cornflakes. Cornflakes came out of the woodwork today, as we have ridiculous amounts of them (Viper digs, oh he digs the flakes) and I knew he wouldn’t really appreciate a huge oat bran/rye contribution. Just a little added crunch factor (acutally I didn’t want to sacrifice all MY breakfast ingredients)
- Carefully melt together honey and nut butters. Again, I just used what I had on hand (pepita butter lurking in back of fridge). This time, due to the claggy nature of pepita butter, I decided to chuck in some milk for extra lubrication. Stir in 1/4C milk (dairy, rice, almond, it doesn’t matter). Simmer for a few minutes (see this post )
- Stir into dry mix, and working quickly, press into a lined baking tin.
- Leave to set… usually I chill in fridge to speed the process along, but this time it came together really quickly. May be due to the fact that I got distracted by Misty while boiling honey, and possibly cooked it a tad too long.
- Cut into bars and await Viper’s Verdict.